Posted on Tue Oct 28, 2008 04:53 PM PDT
So what the heck is a conservatorship anyway? And what rights, exactly, is Britney giving up by agreeing to make her father's conservatorship over her estate permanent?
Well here are some of the basics, as outlined by the State of California:
Conservatee's (Britney's) rights include:
A conservatee does not lose all rights. They can still have a say in important decisions. They have the right to:
Be treated with understanding and respect; have their wishes considered; and be well cared for by the conservator.
In general, conservatees keep the right to:
- Control their own salary
- Make or change their will
- Get married
- Get mail
- Have a lawyer
- Ask a judge to change conservators
- Ask a judge to end the conservatorship
- Vote, unless a judge says they're not able to
- Control personal spending money if a judge says they can have an allowance
- Make their own health-care decisions, unless a judge gives that right to a conservator
Conservator's (Jamie Spears) duties:
When the court chooses you as a conservator (Jamie Spears), you are responsible to the court. You take on certain jobs and responsibilities. The court can examine everything you do as a conservator.
When the court chooses you as the conservator of a person, this means you:
- Arrange for the conservatee's care and protection; decide where the conservatee will live; and are in charge of: health care, food, clothes, personal care, housekeeping, transportation, and recreation.
- Figure out what the conservatee needs: You must figure out what the conservatee needs and how to meet those needs.
- Decide where the conservatee will live.
- You must tell the court every time the conservatee's address changes.
- You can't move the conservatee out of state.
- You can't put the conservatee in a mental health treatment facility.
- You are responsible for making sure that the conservatee's health-care needs are taken care of.
Do you think Britney really needs her father to have this much control over her life?
Is Britney as we know her, over and done?
Britney Spears, Demi Lovato And Simon Cowell Chat About Their Chemistry On The X Factor - Jul 24, 2012
Britney Spears Gets Harsh On The X Factor - Jul 11, 2012
Britney Spears Reveals X Factor Game Plan - Jul 10, 2012
Britney Spears Tweets Bikini Pic While Vacationing In Hawaii - Jul 05, 2012
Britney Spears And Family Say Aloha To Paradise - Jul 05, 2012