Posted on Tue Aug 23, 2011 11:45 AM PDT
Washington, D.C. and New York City just got a little taste of California life.
A 5.9 magnitude earthquake struck central Virginia at 1:53 p.m. ET, the strongest one felt on the Eastern seaboard in many years. The center was located in Mineral, VA, a small town about 92 miles southwest of D.C.
The quake was reportedly felt as far west as Ohio, south as North Carolina and north as Toronto, Canada. No major injuries or damage have been reported out of D.C., though the Pentagon, Capitol and many buildings downtown were evacuated, according to Reuters.
Celebrities, news outlets and residents have been Facebooking and Tweeting up a storm, alerting people to the news. Marlboro, New York-native Nicole "Snooki" Polizzi Tweeted, "Omg earthquakeeeee."
See who else Tweeted after the jump.
Tons of celebs are reacting to the news via Twitter:
- Adam Levine: "Happy to have been here for the most freakish earthquake Washington DC has ever seen. ... Ok. Even GOD is pissed off at Washington now. ... Looks like we brought our California earthquake mojo to DC. Oops."
- Carson Daly: "Things are rollin in NYC now huh? Welcome to cali."
- Real Housewives of New York's Bethenny Frankel: "I just felt the earth shake at lunch!"
- Gossip Girl's Leighton Meester: "Earthquake!! Crazy RT @villagevoice: Our office is wiggling!"
- Patrick Stump: "Wow. Earthquake in Virginia. Is everyone okay?"
- Donnie Wahlberg: "I think there was just an earthquake in Brooklyn! ... If they felt it all the way down south and up here in New York too... Then it must've been big somewhere! I hope everyone is ok!!!! ... Hope everyone is ok!!!"
- Jersey Shore's Deena Cortese: "Omgggg we just had a frickn earth quack !!!!! I'm freakinggg out! ... Having a full blown anxiety attack.. Did anyone else just have anarth quake??"
The East Coast wasn't the only place to experience an earthquake in the last 24 hours. Colorado was also struck by a rare, strong 5.3 magnitude quake at 11:46 p.m. local time Monday night. It was centered nine miles from Trinidad, Colorado and felt up to the town of Greeley, 350 miles to the north, and as far east as Kansas and south as New Mexico.
Snooki Scarfs Down A Sub Sandwich For Two - Jul 25, 2012
Pregnant Snooki Prances In Sparkly Pink Pumps - Jul 20, 2012
Snooki Shows Off Her Bulging Baby Bump - Jul 18, 2012
Snooki Reveals: It's A Boy! - May 25, 2012
Snooki Is Expecting A Baby Boy! - May 23, 2012