Posted on Fri Nov 18, 2011 08:15 AM PDT
Almost 30 years have passed since actress Natalie Wood died of an apparent drowning in the Pacific Ocean near Catalina Island, and now The Los Angeles County Sheriff's have reopened the case. The actress and husband Robert Wagner had been on a yacht called the Splendour back in 1981 ... with fellow actor Christopher Walken.
Homicide investigators are working with Dennis Davern, the former captain of the Splendour who talked about the night Natalie went missing in the 2009 book, Goodbye Natalie, Goodbye Splendour. Davern co-wrote the book with his friend Marti Rulli. The captain says he believes the actress' death was a result of a fight with Wagner.
Investigators say they have "additional information" in the case and they'll reveal what they have at an 11am press conference this morning.
Various reports claim that the story surrounding Wood's death was a cover-up and Wagner may have been to blame. In September 2009, Wagner wrote in his book "Pieces of My Heart" that he was jealous of Wood's chemistry with Walken and that the night of her death, the couple had a fight.
Wood's body was found floating in the ocean and she was wearing a long nightgown, socks and a jacket. According to the autopsy report, she had two dozen bruises on her body and a cut on her left cheek.
In his book, Wagner admits he had an argument with Walken ... and Wood, who was present with the two men, went back to their room. However, after cooling things off with Walken, Wagner says he returned to his room to find Natalie missing.
Wagner's publicist said that the actor's family will "fully support the efforts of the LA County Sheriff's Department and trust they will evaluate whether any new information relating to the death of Natalie Wood Wagner is valid, and that it comes from a credible source or sources other than those simply trying to profit from the 30 year anniversary of her tragic death."
Wood and Wagner were married in 1957, but then split in 1962. The couple remarried in 1972. Wood and Walken were starring together in the movie Brainstorm.
Do you think the investigation was reopened due to credible evidence ... or do you think it was to make money on the 30th anniversary of Wood's death?
Wendy Williams Goes Makeup-Free For Photoshoot - May 18, 2012
Gene Hackman Airlifted To Hospital After Motorcycle Accident - Jan 13, 2012
Sinead O'Connor Reaches Out To Twitter Followers For Help Following Suicide Attempt - Jan 12, 2012
Sinead O'Connor Splits From Husband After Eighteen Days Of Marriage - Dec 27, 2011
Mindy McCready And 5-Year-Old Son Reported Missing - Nov 30, 2011